Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wednesday Evening Thoughts

Haiti presents many challenges for those who come with an open heart. Who do you help, and who not? Who gets medicine and who not? Who gets a meal, who gets … These are all hard choices and there is never a right answer. As I visit the clinics, the hospitals, the evacuation relief center in the municipal gymnasium - even the two orphanages and the old folk’s home - everywhere is want and need. Yes, there are some who seek to take advantage; we hear of some officials as well as individuals trying to take advantage. The good thing I see is there are many more Haitians trying to do the right thing. For these people it may not be providing money but assisting others to find resources, connect with genuine needs and protect and shield those with open hearts.

Giving aid can sometime cause chaos - especially when one seeks to feed many in need with less than enough. We have no concept, no benchmark to place into context the driven imperative to feed and care for one’s family in times of need. And for Haiti, the time of need has been for ages.
As I sit in my bed tonight, I hear the same gravelly voice coming from down the hill that I have heard since our arrival. It carries an overtone of almost animal passion and urgency. It comes in the morning and often from early to late evening. Being who I am, and with my type cast of Haiti, I assumed it was a voodoo gathering. Then I hear singing and French Creole reference to God. I am told this is a local prayer meeting seeking intervention on behalf of Haiti.

Each day we grapple with today’s priorities. 

1 comment:

  1. And for you, now, nothing will ever be the same. God bless you! - Marlene

    ReplyDelete